Wednesday, February 1, 2012

The Storm of '92

Twenty years ago today, I had a winter experience that eclipses all my other winter experiences, and as a Canadian, I have a plethora amazing winter memories.

It was February 1, 1992.  I was living in the Moncton area in New Brunswick, Canada, at the time.  It was already snowing hard when I got off work at the BiWay in Champlain Place.  I cleaned the snow off my car and headed for Salisbury, where I was boarding with a wonderful elderly couple.  But to get onto the highway, I had to drive up an access ramp that was drifted in with so much snow, I couldn't break through.  I turned and went back down the ramp into downtown, but the snow was falling so hard and fast I was having difficulty driving even on the flat streets.  I realized I wouldn't be able to keep driving for much longer, so I pulled into a Tim Horton's and parked.

I remembered that some folks from the church lived a few blocks away, so I locked the car and headed out on foot.  There was snow and ice and wind galore.  I was unprepared for the weather and only had a summer cap for my head.  By the time I arrived at their house, it was dark, and I literally had chunks of ice hanging off my ears.

I'll never forget watching the storm from their living room window and seeing lightning, the only time in my life I've ever seen lightning in a snowstorm.  It lit up every flake in the sky, and was just amazing to behold!

The next morning, there was too much snow to open the front door.  Fortunately, the back of the house was L-shaped, and the wind blew just right so that the snow drifted in such a way that it left a large cavernous quarter-circle of no snow around the back door, so we were able to get out.  The snow was so deep that we were unable to tell where vehicles were.  They were completely buried.  This created problems all over town as plows would strike cars abandoned in streets.

Most of the reports say there was just over five feet of snow, but I'm 5'7", and when I dug a path from the front door to the car, I couldn't see over the sides of my path!  We later heard that there snowdrifts so deep that they came over the top of even the biggest highway plows, and I believe it.  When I finally did get back to the BiWay, there was a drift over the outside doors to our stockroom that went all the way onto the roof of the mall.

One of the most amazing sights was Main Street.  When they cleared the snow, it left a massive snow wall between the street and the sidewalk so that you couldn't even see the storefronts.  The merchants cut out doorways through the snow and spray painted  their business logos on the street side of the snow wall.

Unfortunately, in 1992, we didn't all have cameras in our pockets, so I don't have any photos to say, "Look!  This was the mega storm I got caught in!" And that makes it seem all the more surreal now.  But I can say that I was there, and it sure makes for great conversation at social gatherings.

In my travels, I have met people who can count on one hand the times they've seen even a little bit of snow, but I experienced a snowstorm that even most Canadians have not seen.  And somehow, that makes me feel special.  I shall never forget The Storm of '92!

No comments:

Post a Comment